CA Dispatch does indeed provide a BATCH utility that can be used to assist clients with updating massive amounts of database records. The utility is known as the Database load/unload utility and we provide two different flavors of the utility:
1. The DSEXLOD version of the job runs with the CA Dispatch STC active - but requires that all of the CA Dispatch subtasks be shut down in order to avoid any database contention problems.
2. The DSEXLODL version of the job runs with the CA Dispatch STC completely shut down.
* The use case scenario for this knowledge document is a situation where a customer has to update all of their database defined archive retention records. The database archive retention records are known to the database load/unload utility as TYPE J records.
To assist you with executing the Database load/Unload utility to update the TYPE J archive retention records, you will find a basic "how to" outline below. However, you may want to read the documentation and review the associated jobs JCL first, so that the following information makes more sense...
Basics instructions are as follows:
To UNLOAD the TYPE J records...
1. Create a dataset in TSO as FB,255,255
2. Go into this dataset and code the unload control card based on the
format for unloading the type J record in the "UNLOAD RECORD FORMAT"
section of the documentation. Specifically, the System
Programmers guide documents the format of the UNLOAD control card
for a TYPE J record in the section entitled "Type J - Archive Report
Example: UJM * * *
In the above example, all type J records would be unloaded. To filter
what records will be unloaded, code the actual REPORT or JOBNAME in
place of the asterisks at the appropriate offset.
3. Save the unload file.
4. Update the DSEXLOD/DSEXLODL JCL "CONVERT" symbolic (which is always your
input) to point to the file you created that has the control card. If
this is the FIRST time you are running the job, also set ALLOC='LT' so
that the UNLOAD file is created. Submit the job.
5. The UNLOAD file will have the actual TYPE J records in it. Edit this
file and make your changes. Save the file.
* The Offset/Columns containing archive RETENTIONS are: 21 (GENS) and 24 (DAYS)
(See the documentation section entitled "Type J - Archive Report Definition - Add, Modify, Delete").
To RELOAD the updated TYPE J records...
6. To RELOAD the records, simply change the "CONVERT" symbolic to point to
this UNLOAD file. It is your input file for the reload. Also, set
ALLOC='LE' because at this point, the files have already been created.
* KEY POINTS *
-The CONVERT symbolic in your submit JCL always points to the "input" file for the utility.
-When "UNLOADING" the CONVERT symbolic points to the file that has the unload CONTROL CARD. This run will create an UNLOAD dataset that has all of the records in it.
-When "LOADING" the CONVERT symbolic points to the UNLOAD file that has all of the updated records in it.