What determines the Policy Server supportability to various SSL/TLS protocols with respect to LDAP connection?
The Policy Server uses a Mozilla LDAP SDK to communicate with LDAP directories (Policy store/User Store etc.)
These libraries are deployed under Policy server bin folder. The main library being Network Security Services Base Library : nss3.dll (windows)/libnssutil3.so (Unix)
So, support for different security protocol SSL/TLS 1.0/1.1/1.2 etc primarily depends on whether the bundled NSS library support it or not.
Support for TLS v 1.1 (RFC 4346) is available from NSS 3.14
Support for TLS v 1.2 (RFC 5246) is available from NSS 3.15.1
Does Policy server supports TLSv1.2 protocol for LDAP connectivity with Policy Store/User Store?
As seen above , this depends on the version of the NSS libraries shipped. Now let’s look at the NSS libraries version shipped with different Policy server version
- R12.SP3CR12 = NSS 188.8.131.52
- R12.51CR6 onwards until CR10 = NSS 184.108.40.206
- R12.52SP1 CR7 onwards = NSS 3.28.1
- R12.52SP2 until CR1 = NSS 220.127.116.11
- R12.6 = NSS 3.20
- R12.0SP3CR12 doesn’t have support for TLS protocol. It supports only SSL.
- R12.51CR6 onwards , we have support for TLS but only upto TLSv1.0 ( due to some internal limitation we don't support TLSv1.1). However, you can request a NIN for this as we have already certified NSS 3.30.2 libraries for this release (CA only refer: DE300577)
- R12.52SP1 CR7 onwards we have support for both TLS v1.1 & TLS v1.2
- R12.52SP2 until CR1 doesn't have support for TLSv 1.1 & TLSV v1.2 (Open support ticket if you need a NIN for this release)
- R12.6 onwards we have support for both TLS v1.1 & TLS v1.2