How does PM classify a device as a Router, Switch, Router-Switch or other device types?
- Here is the information on how we classify a device as a Router or Switch based on the value of the sysServices and ipForwarding attributes.
For SNMP device, we use ipForwarding and sysServices to determine device type
- ipForwarding (126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52) – Flag to indicate if acting as IP gateway
- sysServices (184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11) – A set of services that a device may offer
Convert sysServices INT value to binary:
- Repeater: bit 1 is set (not supported by PM)
- Switch: bit 2 is set
- Router: bit 3 & ipForwarding are set
- Switch-Router: bit 2, 3 and ipForwarding are set
- Server: none of above and bit 4 or 7 is set
Example: ipForwarding = 1, sysServices = 6 -> Binary 1 1 0 - this classifies as a Switch-Router