ROSTAT will analyze the Roscoe library system and format a report on the library space statistics. This should be done nightly as part of the Roscoe backup process.
//ROSTAT EXEC PGM=ROSTAT,PARM=roscoejobname
//STEPLIB DD DSN=CAI.RO60LIB,DISP=SHR
//ROSLIB00 DD DSN=CAI.ROSLIB00,DISP=OLD
//ROSLIB01 DD DSN=CAI.ROSLIB01,DISP=OLD
//ROSLIB02 DD DSN=CAI.ROSLIB02,DISP=OLD
//SYSAWSP DD DSN=CAI.AWSP,DISP=OLD
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
To help you determine the capacity of the ROSLIBS, ROSTAT gives you 7 numbers.
1. TOTAL USER DATA SETS aaa
2. AVERAGE INDEX CAPACITY bbb
3. MAXIMUM INDEX CAPACITY ccc
4. MINIMUM INDEX CAPACITY ddd
5. TOTAL DATA BLOCKS eee
6. TOTAL FREE DATA BLOCKS fff
7. TOTAL DEAD DATA BLOCKS ggg
- The TOTAL USER DATA SETS is the total number of members on the ROSLIBS represented above by aaa.
- The AVERAGE INDEX CAPACITY, is the average number of members in the index. Roscoe calculates this as 1/2 the maximum index capacity. It is represented above by bbb.
- The MAXIMUM INDEX CAPACITY. (Calculated by multiplying the number of index blocks by the number of entries per block). This value is represented above by ccc.
- The MINIMUM INDEX CAPACITY. (Calculated by multiplying the number of free index blocks by number of entries per block). This value is represented above by the value ddd.
- The TOTAL DATA BLOCKS in the Roslibs, represented above by eee
- The TOTAL FREE DATA BLOCKS (usable) currently in the ROSLIBS, represented by fff
- The TOTAL DEAD DATA BLOCKS (unusable) in the ROSLIBS, represented by ggg
- If the TOTAL USER DATA SETS (aaa) is greater than the AVERAGE INDEX CAPACITY (bbb), the index file should be reallocated with a larger index capacity and restored.
- If the MINIMUM INDEX CAPACITY (ccc) is low:
- The TOTAL USER DATA SETS is close to the AVERAGE INDEX CAPACITY, (i.e. If aaa is near bbb) reallocate the index file and restore the libraries.
- The TOTAL USER DATA SETS is 50% of the AVERAGE INDEX CAPACITY, restore the library files from a backup. It does not have to be reallocated. (i.e. If aaa is 50% of bbb, restore the library files.)
- When the TOTAL FREE DATA BLOCKS (fff) is 85% of the TOTAL DATA BLOCKS (eee), you should either use LIBUTIL,PARM=ADDLIB to add an additional data library, or restore the library to a larger library.
- When the TOTAL DEAD DATA BLOCKS shown above as (ggg) reaches 5% of the TOTAL DATA BLOCKS, (i.e. when ggg is 5% of eee) you should run a LIBUTIL,PARM=RECLAIM.
the index file should be reallocated with a larger index capacity and restored.
or restore the library to a larger library.
How to do an LIBUTIL,PARM=ADDLIB. You can only add 1 Roslib with addlib
schedule a time to take down all the Roscoes and run a LIBUTIL,PARM=RECLAIM.
how add works