"Logon Failed" error when using Crystal Reports to access CA Clarity universes for Business Objects Reporting with database as MS SQL Server.
Cause: This error can occur due to a mismatch in DSN names defined in the system and the service name defined for the universes in the BO Designer.
Steps to reproduce:
- Launch Crystal reports
- Click on a new blank report
- Database Expert Opens. Click on Create New Connection
- Click on Universes. Give the necessary credentials.
- CA Universes > CA Clarity > Select the universe wished to be accessed.
- Select any field from the tables listed . Click on OK.
- Error > Logon Failed (ref fig error)
In CMC :
- Universes > CA Universes> CA Clarity .
- Here you will see a list of universes
- Select the Universe to be accessed.
- Right Click on the Universe > Properties > Connections.
- It will show a connection name. In this case CA_Clarity (ref fig 1 and fig 2)
In the Universe Designer
- Tools > Connections
- Look for a connection named CA_Clarity or create one (This matches the name from group 1 steps. The connection name for the universe)
- If the connection exists , select the connection > Click on Edit else if creating new make a note of the Service Name used.
- Keep a note of The Service Name . In this case its "clarity" (ref fig 3)
On the Client Machine where Crystal Reports is installed
- ODBC Data Administrator - GoTo System DSN
- ADD SQL Server - Click on Finish
- Create the DataSource to SQL Server with name "clarity". This matches the Service Name taken from the Universe Designer, connection name for the Universe.