Capture Thread and Heap Dumps using Java Visual JVM
Document ID :
Last Modified Date :
Show Technical Document Details
CA Service Management
CA SERVICE MANAGEMENT:SVCMGT
When troubleshooting an issue with Tomcat, you may be advised by CA Support to gather Thread and Heap dump information for the affected Tomcat process.
CA Service Desk Manager - ALL VERSIONS
To capture the thread and heap dump, please follow the instructions below:
1. Enable JMX Remote debugging in SDM’s NX.env Example:
NX_JAVA_OPTIONS=-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=30001 -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false -Djava.rmi.server.hostname=HOSTNAME -Xms64M -Xmx512M
NOTE: replace HOSTNAME with the correct hostname value of the SDM node to which you are making this change to. This is case sensitive. You would have to use the same case in Step#7 later in the doc
2. Restart Tomcat (of course if you need for VIZ or WF, you could do the same for that Tomcat’s Java options in NX.env). pdm_tomcat_nxd -c stop (make sure java or java.exe listening on appropriate Tomcat disappears from LISTENING status). And then kill the PID of pdm_tomcat_nxd process related to the tomcat daemon in question. OR Restart SDM.
3. Now you’ll see javaw.exe also listening on 30001
4. Have JDK 126.96.36.199 or something higher installed, it comes with jvisualvm
5. From a client machine where JDK is installed, open jvisualvm present in JDK_FOLDER\bin.
6. Click on File-> 'Add Remote Host' and add the SDM Tomcat server hostname.
7. In the Applications Pane -> Remote , right click on remote host added and 'Add JMX connection'.
8. Make the connection by giving the port as 9999 and click on OK.
9. Go to the Overview tab and take a screen print
10 Click on the Monitor tab, get a screen print
11. On the Monitor tab, click Heap Dump, save it to a file. We need this file too (Note: heap dump goes to the Tomcat server machine itself)
12. Click on the Threads tab, get a screen print
13. Click on the Thread Dump button, save the output there by selecting everything in the resulting window to a Text file. We need this output.
14. Provide us with the NX_ROOT\log directory zipped based logs for the days in question
15. Provide us with NX_ROOT\bopcfg\www\CATALINA_BASE**\logs based logs for the days in question.
16. Screen prints of the JVisual VM
17. Saved Heap Dump file
18. Saved Thread Dump file.
Was this information helpful?