Starting from IMS 10.1, SMU is no longer supported. SMU has to be converted to CA Top Secret rules.
Do you have to convert to CA Top Secret rules, before upgrading to IMS 10.1 or above.
Or can you convert after upgrading to IMS 10.1 or above. If yes, how?
Converting to CA Top Secret from SMU can be done before or after upgrading to IMS 10.1 or above.
- The CA Top Secret IMS Conversion Utilities do not interact with IMS directly.
- The utilities can be run at any time using SMU input. They will not affect the existing SMU security.
- And IMS does not have to be up for the utility to be run.
- Some of the CA Top SECRET IMS Conversion Utilities must be run on the CA Top Secret system that contains the permits for the existing IMS
- The implementation of external security in IMS can only be done with IMS version 9 or above.
- We strongly recommend that the conversion be implemented with IMS version 9.
- That way, if there is a problem with the SMU conversion, you can back to native SMU security.
- When going from IMS version 8 to IMS version 10.1 or above, there is no back-out or recovery except to go back to IMS version 8.
For more about the CA Top Secret SMU conversion, please see the CA Top Secret for z/OS Implementation Guide; chapter 5 Implementation Security for IMS for CA Top Secret r15.0
For CA Top Secret r16.0, go to docops.ca.com site; signon; choose your product CA Top Secret for z/OS - 16.0; click on "Implementing in CICS and Other Interfaces"; click on "Implementing Security IMS" for more details about SMU conversion.