When installing Business Objects on a Windows 2008 Server 64-bit, a pop-up window titled "Installer Information" and containing "Error 1904" is displayed. The pop-up message can be avoided by turning off Data Execution Prevention (DEP).
When installing Business Objects on a Windows 2008 Server 64-bit, the following messages are seen (see Figure 1):
If you click 'Ignore', another pop-up window appears with a similar error message for another dll (see Figure 2).
Note: Clicking 'Ignore' continues the installation, but the DLLs are not registered. Attempting to register the DDL's manually is also likely to fail.
The solution is to disable Windows DEP.
To completely turn DEP off:
- Change the DEP configuration as follows:
- Right click on My Computer
- Click on Properties
- Click on the Advanced tab
- Click on the Settings button in the Performance section
- Click on the Data Execution Prevention tab
- Click "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only"
- Re-install BOXI completely.
Note: This is not a recommendation to permanently turn off DEP. Consider that a more secure option may be to keep DEP turned on and to Add legitimate programs to the list of exceptions. In that case, programs in the exception list are not protected by DEP but everything else in your system is.