This document provides step by step instructions, in an AA installation environment, on how to implement changes without shutting down SDM a new NX.ENV variable is installed using the pdm_options_mgr utility.
The pdm_options_mgr utility needs to be used when the NX.ENV variable is not listed in any option available under Options Manager in the SDM interface.
In an AA installation, let us say that:
- "ServerA" is background server
- "ServerB" is a standby server
- "ServerC" is an application server
- "ServerD" is an application server
The instructions apply to SDM 12.9 and 14.1 running in AA.
These are the steps for administrators can use to make options changes without stopping the services:
1. Access server A as an administrator and in the command prompt execute either one of the following options:
- To install or update a variable:
pdm_options_mgr -c -s [Variable name comes here] -v [value] -a pdm_option.inst
pdm_options_mgr -c -s [Variable name comes here] -v [value] -a pdm_option.inst -t
pdm_options_mgr -c -s [Variable name comes here] -v [value] -a pdm_option.deinst
pdm_options_mgr -c -s [Variable name comes here] -v [value] -a pdm_option.deinst -t
2. Restart SDM service on ServerB.
3. After ServerB completely starts, run command "pdm_server_control -b" on ServerB to promote the standby server to background server.
4. Restart the SDM service on ServerA.
5. After ServerA completely starts, run the command "pdm_server_control -b" on ServerA to promote it back to a background server.
6. Notify end users to log out of Service Desk on ServerC and use one of the other Application Servers.
For example, send an email to end users, do an announcement, run command "pdm_server_control -q 600" to notify end users server will be shutdown in 10 minutes(as an example). Restart SDM/CMDB service on ServerC.
7. Repeat step 6 for ServerD
1. If there are other application servers like ServerE, ServerF etc, just repeat step 6 for each of them.
2. Out of box, SDM uses UPDATE for version control. If for some reason you disable this option, you would need to enable it first before any steps in this tech doc. You can check NX.env file in the SDM/CMDB install root directory to make sure it has
If not, contact CA Support for assistance to enable Version Control.
3. For additional details on using pdm_options_mgr, please refer to:
TEC612988 - Best Practice when doing Changes to NX.ENV: using the 'pdm_options_mgr' command