The solution explains what you should consider if you need to back up and then restore an Insight DPM application on Windows.
IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to create back up of the registry and ensure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem may occur. For more information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, please review the relevant Microsoft Knowledge Base articles on support.microsoft.com.
Note: For more information about how to back up and restore MDB, please review the relevant Database Administration articles on Microsoft or Oracle websites in terms of your MDB type, or ask the assistance of your local database administrator.
To back up and restore an Insight DPM application for a worse-case scenario, when all components become unusable and a product reinstallation on the same server is required. In this scenario, we fix the environment to Windows 2003 and Insight DPM 11.2.4.
All configuration information of managed hosts, managed server and configured knowledge agents, is stored in MDB. MDB is the most important part of backup. Be sure you have recorded the DB account, udccuser, who owns MDB, and appropriate privileges and database roles assigned to the DB account.
- Agent files
You must back up the files under the following folders for restoring knowledge agents:
- Registry Entries
Please export the following registry entries:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CA CleverPath Portal
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CA Unicenter Insight <agent_name>
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CA Unicenter Insight Network Service
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UDCC Job Admin
- LIST INSTALLED COMPONENTS
The information about the installed components has also been stored in MDB. For consistency, the same components should be selected to be reinstalled.
- COMPLETELY UNINSTALL
To avoid any interference during the reinstallation, make sure all the previous components have been purged. Please refer to the section, "Uninstall CA DCC on Windows", in the Implementation Guide.
- Restore the MDB. Ensure that the MDB owner has the proper accesses.
- Restore registry entries.
- Reinstall Insight DPM. Ensure that the same components are selected, except MDB, for installation.
- Restore the agent files to the original directories.
- Open Services panel from Control Panel Administrative Tools.
- Confirm that the related services have started. If they have not yet started, start them manually.
- Apply the above considerations only to the server where the Insight DPM application was installed because MDB retains the data for the original host.
- The backup of agent files should be performed just after the backup of the MDB to avoid inconsistency.
- Consider a shut-down of the application for a consistent backup and restore.