In an APM cluster how should the 3 CEM Services be assigned to maximize performance?
- DB Cleanup Service
- Stats Aggregation Service
- TIM Collection Service
The APM Wiki has advice on this subject (Distribute the Enterprise Manager Services).
Here are some additional details of the performance implications:
- The Stats Aggregation Service and TIM Collection Service are both high resource tasks.
- Although the Stats Aggregation Service runs "after hours" (just after midnight), if the monitored applications have significant load 24 x 7, then the TIM Collection Service could still be very active at that time causing a potential conflict.
- Thus the rule of thumb is to always assign the Stats Aggregation Service and TIM Collection Service to separate Collectors.
- The DB Cleanup Service is a low resource task and may be assigned to the same Collector as the Stats Aggregation Service or even to the MOM.
Long term, the above configuration should guarantee optimum performance of the APM CE (CEM) data processing. It will also allow easier root cause analysis of any problems because the TIM data collection and Stats Aggregation have been separated.