The APM 12.6 installation is by default going to use the port 1433.
In SQL server, the default instance has a listener which listens on the fixed port which is TCP port 1433.
However for the named instance, the port on which the SQL server listens is random and is dynamically selected when the named instance of the SQL server starts. This is the default behavior when the ports are not defined for the named instance manually.
When installing APM 12.6 and using SQL Server named instances with dynamic ports, the following steps must be followed to resolve the CASM installation problem, follow the below steps.
- Obtain the current running port from the database server thru the SQL server configuration manager.
- Start->Programs-> SQL Server (version)->Configuration Tools-> Configuration Manager or
Click Start >> Run
For SQL Server 2005 Type "SQLServerManager.msc" and click OK
For SQL Server 2008 Type "SQLServerManager10.msc" and click OK
- In the Configuration Manager screen, expand the SQL Native Client Configuration
- Click on Client Protocols
- In the list of Client Protocols, click on TCP/IP
- This will list the dynamic port the named instance is currently running on
- Open the \Program Files\CA\ITAM\InstallConfig\AlleghenyInstallFiles\CASM\setup\installer.properties file and the C:\WINDOWS\Temp\ITAM\Templates\CASM\installer.properties file in notepad
- Add the dynamic port number to the following section:
#Enter database server name
#Enter database name
#Enter database server port
DB_SERVER_PORT=<dynamic_port> *Note: There is no instance name as the casm installer is issuing the port to identify the instance.
#Provide MDB Administrator Detail
- Save the changes to both installer.properties files
- Open the APM Configuration screen (start->programs->CA->APM configuration)
- Click 'Retry' next to failed CASM install
- Review the CASM install log at
The CASM install should complete successfully.