I have configured ModSecurity in SSL mode and then Apache Web Server (httpd) won't startup. $SPECROOT/apache/logs/error.log shows the following error.
AH02577: Init: SSLPassPhraseDialog builtin is not supported on Win32 (key file C:/win32app/Spectrum/apache/conf/server.key)
Spectrum 10.1 or later on Windows
SSLPassPhraseDialog is a directive within $SPECROOT/apache/conf/extra/httpd-ssl.conf that is not supported by Windows.
We can remove passphrase set in the private key, i.e. server.key, using the following steps.
1. Backup $SPECROOT/apache/conf/extra/httpd-ssl.conf and modify it by commenting out the SSLPassPhraseDialog directive line in the file, i.e. adding "#" in front of the directive
2. Launch a bash login shell, go to $SPECROOT/apache/conf directory and rename $SPECROOT/apache/conf/server.key to server.key.org
mv server.key server.key.org
3. Under $SPECROOT/apache/conf directory run openssl command to remove the passphrase
openssl rsa -in server.key.org -out server.key
When you are prompted "Enter pass phrase for server.key.org:" enter the passphrase and then when successful you get "writing RSA key" message.
4. Restart Apache Web Server
- Enable ModSecurity in SSL Mode