After upgrading RAD and reinstalling the SCM Eclipse plugin, getting the error: !MESSAGE Failed to initialize CA SCM CMSDK. Please ensure that all required components are installed.

Document ID : KB000009194
Last Modified Date : 14/02/2018
Show Technical Document Details
Issue:

We have installed RAD 9.1.1.2 along with the Harvest 12.6 client and the Harvest 12.6 plugin with dependencies for 4.2.x.x

when we upgrade from RAD 8.5 to RAD 9.1, some time we get a "not all components are installed" message.

When this happens, usually we uninstall the Harvest client and the Harvest plugin, and then reinstall, and everything works.

We have ONE SPECIFIC pc, however, we've done that three times, and we continue to get the same message.
It also has an additional message: 

!ENTRY com.ca.harvest.cmsdk 4 0 2017-11-08 23:27:39.434
!MESSAGE Failed to initialize CA SCM CMSDK. Please ensure that all required components are installed.
!STACK 0
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\Program Files\IBM\SDP\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\bundles\2376\1\.cp\hcomm64.dll (The specified procedure could not be found. )

We've verified that the hcomm64.dll is present on the system.

Is there something else we can delete (registry wise) or something else we need to do to fix this issue?

Cause:

We did a Windows Explorer search of the entire computer for "hcomm64.dll" and found there were 2 copies of this file out there in the following folders:

- C:\Program Files\CA\scm
- C:\Program Files\IBM\SDP\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\bundles\2347\1\.cp

When comparing the 2 copies of hcomm64.dll we found that the sizes were different.

Looking in the RAD installation folder containing hcomm64.dll we found several other dlls:

haragent64.dll
harzlib64.dll
hauthserver64.dll
hcomm64.dll
hutilities64.dll
jharagent64.dll
jhcomm64.dll
jutils64.dll
signfile64.dll

Checking the size of the hcomm64.dll we originally found in the RAD installation folder was 381 KB.  The date was 12/18/2017 which is not relevant since that is the date it was copied to that folder.  This is the size that this file should be for the SCM 12.6 client installation.

Checking the same file in the SCM installation folder, it had a size of 371 KB and a date of 12/24/2011.  That date and file size corresponds to the version of this dll that was included in SCM 12.1 SP3.

So, the conclusion is that somehow the upgrade of SCM on these affected machines did not go as planned and those dlls did not get replaced.

Resolution:

Recommending on all the affected machines to:
1.    Go to Control Panel -> Programs, uninstall Enterprise Communicator first and then SCM Client.
2.    In Windows Explorer, navigate to the SCM Home folder and delete any files that remain.  Make sure the folder is completely empty.
3.    Reboot the machine.
4.    Install again SCM 12.6 64-bit Client (either Full Client or Workbench Only).
5.    Reboot one more time.
6.    Check to make sure that the dlls in the RAD installation folder (C:\Program Files\IBM\SDP\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\bundles\2347\1\.cp) now reflect the same size as the corresponding files in the SCM installation folder (C:\Program Files\CA\SCM).  The dates won’t match but the sizes should. If they do not, make sure to shut down RAD first, then delete all the dlls in that folder of the RAD installation.  The next time you start up RAD, the folder should repopulate with the correct versions of those dlls.

After this everything should be back in sync again.