1. Is there a way to allocate ILOGs dataset under SMS with passing explicit dataclass and storclass values using the ALLOC_ILOG command and SRVMAINT.
2. I did our ILOG allocations through IDCAMS based on HLQ.CAW0JCL(BYSIALI) as per the CA Common Services Installation Guide but I am concerned about a note from the CA Insight™ Database Performance Monitor for DB2 for z/OS, System Reference Guide, Chapter 4: Installing Optional Components, Install the Global Subsystem (GSS), Step 7: Define Product-Specific GSS ILOG Data Sets that says to “Use SRVMAINT to initialize new ILOG data sets; otherwise, scrolling errors result”.
3. I have allocated pairs ILOGs with primary and secondary allocations as per HLQ.CAW0JCL(BYSIALI) and examples found in the various manuals, but they are reported as full by the DISPLAY ILOG command without even being extended. Why are ILOGs allocated with secondary allocation?
4. Once they were reported as full by the DISPLAY ILOG command, I did a LISTCAT on it to find out that the HI-U-RBA never reached the HI-A-RBA (primary allocation) value? Curiously the HI-U-RBA appears to match the PAGE value * 4K.
5. I tried setting the ILOG PAGE value to the primary allocation cylinders value * 180 but the GSS address space failed short on storage. Our primary allocation was 100 cyls and PAGE value set to 18000? I kept the 100 cyls allocation but reduced the PAGE to 180 (1 cyl. value). That worked but only one cylinder worth of space appear to have been be used out of the 100 allocated (HI-U-RBA vs HI-A-RBA).
6. What is your recommendations for ILOG allocations in terms of size, number of subfiles, PAGE?
7. I do not quite understand if an $user_ilog_full IMOD needs to be coded by us, if this comes as part of GSS or Insight or if it is required at all?
8. There seems to be no way to de-allocation ILOGs while the GSS address space is up? Is there a better way to resize/delete/create ILOGs without needing to shut down the entire GSS address space?
9. Can you explain exactly what happens when an ILOG sub-file full condition is reached?
10. Can you explain exactly what happens when an ILOG sub-file switch occurs?
11. Can we get into situations where all ILOG sub-file of a given file get full? Can you explain exactly what happens then?